Monday, April 21, 2008

ETDs Collection on DSpace

Washington College started to create digital collection of ETDs in 2007, now all Senior Capstone Experiences are available on DSpace. But senior students still do not submit their theses directly to DSpace, instead, they have to submit theses to blackboard or the library by email. Then the Metadata Librarian has to create metadata and deposit theses on DSpace one by one. I think this is time-consuming and very low efficient. Since the workflow of creating metadata for theses could be customized, so I can design a new default workflow for senior students to directly submit their theses to DSpace. This is the purpose that we choose DSpace as our digital repository originally.

Some faculty might question whether undergraduate students could deposit theses on their own. I would like to trust them. Through step-by-step guide and elaborately designed workflow, senior students will make it correctly and efficiently. Probably, I should work on designing such new default workflow model first, and then I will teach them how to use it. I wish we can make this happen by 2009.

No comments: